"Being bad feels pretty good, huh?" -- John Bender (Judd Nelson), The Breakfast Club
Halloween brings out the worst in people. And we love it.
We relish the opportunity to wear the bad or unsavory parts of our selves on the outside for once, rather than keeping them pinned down in the solitary confinement chambers of our conscience.
The day gives us that one precious chance to celebrate our darker dreams, to display the demons we keep in check so well for those other 364 days.
Before I was married, I had five serious relationships. Two of them ended in the aftermath of Halloween. Believe me when I say it wasn't coincidence. The worst parts of both people emerged to battle on a metaphorical playground, challenging the other: Can you handle this part of me? Here's your warning. Leave now, and don't look back!
The tragic part is how much we love our dark sides. Most of us talk a good game about how we want to walk that straight and narrow path and do the right things, but very few of us can escape this life without finding a few small paths off that dusty trail, escapes from a very long path with very few curves, bends, or changes of scenery.
Without Red Kryptonite, Clark Kent is probably still a virgin. 'Nuff said.
Maybe we do ourselves wrong by celebrating the bad side only one day out of the year. Maybe we should dedicate a whole month. Maybe we should call October "The Dark Month" and allow ourselves a little bit more lenience.
It's probably wrong that I teach Sunday School.
Billy's 2008 Ghoulies + Ghosties Mix
- Peek-a-Boo - Devo
- Scared, Are You? - Better Than Ezra
- Superman's Dead - Our Lady Peace
- Black Moon Creeping - The Black Crowes
- Dim and the Dark - Jump
- Angels or Devils - Dishwalla
- Wave of Mutilation - Pixies
- Strange - R.E.M.
- Evil - Interpol
- Vampire - The Blakes
- The Beast in Me - Johnny Cash
- Graveyard Girl - M83
- Don't Come the Cowboy With Me, Sonny Jim - Kelly Willis
- Good Monsters - Jars of Clay
- The Frog Prince - Keane
- Cry in the Dark - Juliana Hatfield
- The Devil Never Sleeps - Iron + Wine
- All You Zombies - Hooters
- The Pretender - Foo Fighters
- Sin Wagon - Dixie Chicks
- The Best Deceptions - Dashboard Confessional