An hour later, I owned some 40 of the 50 or so songs they recommended. And I owned all of the ones that the Victoria's Secret supermodel danced to in their special exclusive video. (To be fair, I owned about a dozen already, because I'm so darn hip.)
Here's the bands from whom I went out and purchased a song, with the bands from whom I was inspired to purchase additional songs earning an asterisk:
- Sloan River Project
- Bettie Serveert
- The xx *
- Los Campesinos!
- David Nail
- Retribution Gospel *
- Galactic *
We all do random inexplicable shit. For me, I write poetry and make mix CDs, and both have very little rational explanation behind them. But I compiled my favorite songs inspired by the Esquire list, threw them in with a couple of other favorite recommended compilations, added a dash of my own discoveries from the last six months, and made a mix.
- Satellite Mind Metric
- The Modern Leper Frightened Rabbit
- Heart Of Steel Galactic
- You and I Kyler England
- Ali In the Jungle The Hours
- I Know About You (Acoustic) Dashboard Confessional
- Ain't No Secret The Alternate Routes
- How You Like Me Now The Heavy
- One Of Those Days Joshua Radin
- Taking Chances (Glee Cast Version) Glee Cast
- My Old Man Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers
- Trinity Paper Tongues
- Dirty Wings Megan Slankard
- Better Love Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors
- Do It Again Galactic
- Boy Like Me Jessica Harp
- You're Not Listening The Rescues
- Sympathetic Vibrations (feat. Amber Rubarth & Alex Wong) The Paper Raincoat
- If You Would Come Back Home William Fitzsimmons
- Make It Up To You Pete Schmidt
Happy THUMPER mix. Whatever that may mean to you.
The picture of Champy's, located in Chattanooga, is included because I've been there four times in the last 14 days, which means it deserves some kind of credit for my need to make a mix CD in the first place.