Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Get Thee Behind Me, Santorum! (No! Not THAT Close!)

Have a Talk with God - Stevie Wonder (mp3)

I’m on the verge of declaring Rick Santorum to be an evil man.

I’m not there yet, but I’m close.

Disclaimer: By no means am I empowered by my Creator to determine those who are Evil and those who are Good. I am a mere flawed mortal with flawed perspective.

But here’s what I know with certainty: Rick Santorum is using the Bible as a cudgel. He’s using the Bible as a bludgeon wrapped in a blanket of deceptive insincerity.

In other words, the way he is using the Bible is no different than the very way Satan used it, taking the words of Scripture and intentionally manipulating them in the hopes of manipulating and misleading the weak-minded.

Santorum’s latest insincere strategy is to suggest that Obama is a snob because our President dares to think going to college is important. Nevermind what statisics are indicating about those who fail to make it to (and graduate from) some kind of post-secondary education. Nevermind the projections for the future, which suggest college degrees will become even more essential (whether we think this is a good thing is mooooooot).

What does that have to do with Jesus and the abuse of Bible-speak, you ask? It’s on the same train of thought, at the 1:09 mark: “Oh I understand why he (Obama) wants you to go to college. He wants to remake you in his image.”



Any church-goer on the planet knows what Santorum is insinuating. That Obama has a God complex, that he dares to do that which only our Creator is permitted. He is setting up a scenario where Obama is guilty of the same crime as so many kings of the Old Testament. Golden idols, fiery furnaces, craven images.

How about this quote: “The president has reached a new low in this country’s history of oppressing religious freedom that we have never seen before.”

If Santorum is a true Christian -- and it deserves to be questioned at this point -- he would never make such a claim when he knows it to be insincere. And you just need to trust me on this: Santorum doesn’t believe Obama is evil, not really.

The President who attended the National Prayer Breakfast and spelled out -- sincerely, I should add -- how his interpretation of the Bible motivates his politics, who voiced what so many left-leaning Christians believe to the letter about our obligations as Christians (to the poor, to the needy, to the elderly, to the imprisoned)? This is the President who wants to push people away from faith? Who wants to destroy organized religion? The same one who’s oh by the way also secretly a rabid Muslim?

Johnny Mac, I need you to gimme a "You cannot be serious!"

As best I can recall, Obama has not once used the Bible to beat an opponent or individual over the head.

I can think of nothing that stirs up my religious zeal more than people who wield the Bible as a sword rather than a shield. It was meant to protect, to offer sanctuary. It was meant to spread love, and peace. Yet these people who claim to know the same words, who claim to worship the same Savior, are attempting to use my religion as a divider between Good and Bad, and Bad means softy lefty African-American secret Muslim terrorist Presidents.

The word “Evil” is so dangerous, so loaded. Worse, I’m a mamby-pamby softy lefty relativist new-wave Christian who thinks we should all love one another and get along and help out those who need it. People like me despise using words like “Evil” because it’s so absolute and uncompromising.

So trust me, I take no joy in my fear that Santorum might be an evil man. But he scares me. His goals are fearmongering, division, scorn, derision. This isn’t the Bible I’ve read. It’s not even the Bibles most Catholics have read. So for him to hold that book and say the things he’s said? I’m just not sure I can find another word that quite fits.

And unlike Rick, I’m not fearmongering, and I’m not terribly worried about him becoming our next POTUS. Honestly, I cannot conceive of a planet on which Rick Santorum can win the Presidency. (A Mormon could win on another planet, because they are gods on many, many planets. At least from what I’ve read and come to understand about their beliefs.)

But Santorum? A man in 2012, who must stop having sex with his wife forever if and when he decides they’ve had enough children (because sex has one and only one purpose), who believes the government has too much control over too many things except for what happens in or around the vagina of every woman in this country, where our government should have greater control... yeah, I just can’t believe he could ever make it into the White House.

If he does, ladies, you’re fucked. And not in the good way.*

* -- yeah okay, that's slight fearmongering.

4 comments:

BeckEye said...

There is a quiz on the Internet (somewhere out there...but I can't remember where) of quotes and you have to guess if they're from Santorum or Dave Mustaine. It's pretty funny. And hard. I only scored 40%.

troutking said...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/20/10-outrageous-things-rick-santorum-has-said.html

You'll like this.

Sara C said...

I am similarly terrified of what this man is doing. In fact, I posted earlier this week on somewhat the same lines. That time, though, Obama was not a Christian for caring about the earth. And seriously, how funny is it that Santorum can so easily get autocorrected to sanatorium?

Bob said...

Headline of the day involving polling in Alabama's upcome date with Super Tuesday:

Santorum Comes From Behind In Alabama Three-Way