Monday, October 1, 2012

On The Hypocrisy Of Posting Phil Collins and other tales: Welcome To Rocktober!

Genesis--"Land of Confusion (Brass Knuckles remix)" (mp3)


Yeah, Phil Collins.  Not a big fan.  But, you see, Phil is an old dog and he has a new trick.  Admittedly, it's not a trick that he has learned and not really one that has been played on him.  He has, along with all of the other lads from Genesis, has been remixed.  And that, my friends, has made all of the difference.

Oddly, by giving their song a bit of a freshening up, the remixer has also given it a bit more weight, a bit more relevance, as if any Genesis song needed that.

Welcome to Rocktober, wherein Billy and Bob will write about some music some of the time.  Times being what they are.  In the year since we last hosted a Rocktober, things have changed in the music world online.  It may be, for example, that you are no longer listening to mp3s.  The online world is moving away from them, too, and while I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it has made being a supporter of new music a bit more cumbersome.  Now, the up-and-coming artists want us to still support them, but they want us to do it through YouTube and Soundcloud.

Yeah, I'm an old dog myself, and I don't quite specifically know how to embed those kinds of things on our site, and I'm not that sure that I want to.  I hate to break it to the world, but in the 30 years since the advent of MTV, one thing that I have learned is that a video is not a song.  There.  I said it.  No, a video is an embellishment of a song, perhaps a distraction from a song, but only in the rarest of cases is it a realization of a song.  And, old dog that I am, I'm still, after all these years, more interested in the song, not the video.

Soundcloud presents its own problem, primarily the fact that if you embed the physical representation of a song on Soundcloud, it looks like you have a giant orange prophylactic on your website.  It's for others, maybe, but not me.

If an mp3 actually is available (and I understand why it usually isn't--musicians are tired of the thieves who are one right-click away from adding another song to their cache, and I think it's become pretty clear that we're tired of them, too, even though they made up 98% of our audience and we're now down to the remaining 2%), the steps one has to go through are often not worth the amount of time and the number of steps it takes to get a song that we don't even know if we like.

But I'm talking about new music, and most of you don't even listen to new music.  For some people, music, popular music of any import became a childish thing that needed to be put away.  For some people, the path of least resistance as an adult is country music.  I hope that is not you.  I doubt you'd be reading this blog if it were, even if you don't listen to the music.

So we come around to Rocktober again.  It's a month that focuses us primarily on the music.  We can promise you this--insightful music writing, for while our sense of our own influence may be pretend, our writing is real.  I will be focusing on such topics as the perfect length of a live concert, the ascendancy of Quadrophenia as the ultimate "rock opera," maybe even the argument that the greatest rock band is actually jazz-influenced and isn't really a band and doesn't really rock.  Billy will be offering a hindsight defense of Teena Marie's mall tour, a postulation that the 20-teens will be the new 80's, and a reconsideration of the band Crack The Sky.  One of us, probably me, will piss off the minions of some beloved (hopefully Christian) band in order to give them something to do.

But October is also October, and, as such, it puts other demands on us as well--hayrides and Halloween, cider and swing state, debates and other live shows.  So, like I said, we'll be primarily about the music, but we will do the rest of our usualy schtick as well.

 As always, we thank you for jumping on our train, regardless of when you jumped on or how many times you have jumped off.  This far into it, we need a certain kind of external motivation to keep going, and those of you who are still here, either faithfully or casually, keep our noses to the grindstone.  We hope you like it, but we do it for our own good.  So thanks.  Rock on!

1 comment:

troutking said...

Why do I get the feeling that the perfect length of a rock concert post is going to force me to defend the Boss' 3 1/2 hour shows?