Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Secret To Writing

Yeah, I'm the one who likes to check in on the state of this blog from time to time, to see where we're  headed and to reflect on where we've been.  I was driving my daughter back to college today and my mind wandered, as it tends to do while driving, and I pondered the reality that Billy and I have each written well over 650 posts each for this little hobby.  The posts tend to average about two pages of writing each.

In simple terms, we've each written War And Peace.

In snippets, mind you, and over the course of some five years, but we have cranked out the pages.  And some of it has been pretty darn good.

Take Billy's recent piece, "Tuff Enough."  A beautiful piece of writing.  Clever, well-connected, inspired and inspiring.  That's hard to do.  There are pros who do it for a living who can't do that most of the time.  It reminded me of the Holly Williams concert I saw a week or so ago.  Ms. Williams had that rare ability to connect with both the drinkers who wanted to rock and the Christians who wanted to be uplifted.  How hard is it to do both?  Yet, Billy's piece does that.

Or his piece on the graffiti artist who was killed by the Miami police.  He took a position that I continue to disagree with.  In fact, we wrote about our divergent positions at length, but we did it by smart phone so that our little blog wouldn't turn into our private dialogue.  We wanted to leave space for others to weigh in on a significant national controversy.  But no one did.

I am reminded by what might be kind of a throwaway Springsteen line, but one that seems to reverberate on a daily basis:  "Is there anybody alive out there?"

So, anyway, I've discovered the secret to writing for about the one thousandth time and I thought I might share it.  It's simply this: the more you write, the more there is to write about.  

That's what I think about when I read some of Billy's recent pieces.  That's what I think most nights when I find that my free time goes not to television, but to writing.  While there is maybe something simmering on the stove for the next day or week or month, there are many things simmering in my mind.  

I think both of us are way past the point of 'What am I going to write about?'  We are in a different place, which is 'What order do I write all of the things I want to write about in.?"  There are those topics with no time sensitivity butting up against things that are happening juxtaposed with the casual comment that sparks a post or the love of music that we always seem to return to.  With all of those tensions, things get lost in the shuffle.

The more you write, the more there is to write about.  That is one of the beautiful truths of life.  For if you are on a path to self-discovery, as many people are, then you are indeed in the driver's seat, and it remains up to you how far you want to or are willing to drive.  

As always, we appreciate your reading our stuff and we hope that you will stay with us as we push ahead.  And if you want to drop a comment once in a while, well  it's nice to know that you are in the car with us.

4 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Most of the time that adage is true, but for me as of late, it's more like, "the more I write, the less there is to write about".

I've cranked out just a shade under 1050 posts for my main blog, and now I'm at the point where I'm seriously running out of steam, 'cause I've covered every conceivable topic of interest to me at least ten times.

But, it is what it is. I do enjoy blogging and even though my blogging schedule ebbs and flows, I will never really give it up.

Anonymous said...

G.B., maybe you need a blog partner who flows when you ebb, and vice-versa?

Bob

troutking said...

I love the blog and read it regularly. I try to comment as often as possible just so you know you have readers. I really think the best of these columns could stand next to anyone's and should be published. Are things published anymore?

Daisy said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Trout! Many times I don't comment because the posts are so perfectly written that there is nothing more to say, but I haven't stopped reading.