Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Epiphany #44: The Dream

The thing you hate about bloggers is that they will freely upend every rule or belief they have in order to write a story.  Take me.  I am virulently anti-dreams, see no meaning in them, and often say that I am bored by others' dreams, and yet, here I am about to tell you about one of my dreams.

My reasons seem justified, though (of course they are, because I'm the one justifying them, right?):

1.  The dream I had two nights ago was far more vivid and memorable that my typical dream.
2.  Merle Haggard.

That's right.  Merle Haggard appeared to me in a dream.  Now, Merle and I don't have any particular history.  I have three or four of his songs, and am pleased with their quality when I hear them, but I don't think about him often, probably hadn't thought about him for at least three weeks.

But here he was.  In fact, I was standing outside of a Merle Haggard concert, waiting for it to start.  My wife was with me.  And so was Merle.

I didn't recognize him at first.  He was standing off to the side, and he was singing spirituals somewhat quietly to himself, holding some kind of a music player that provided instrumental accompaniment.

When we realized that it was him, we walked up to him and said hello.  He was kind, and indulged our intrusion, and so I asked if we could take pictures with him.  He said yes.

Now, here's the strange thing, in my book.  I couldn't get that darn camera to work.  It was my smart phone camera, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the proper apps to open or to close to take the picture.  He waited very patiently, sometimes going back to softly singing his gospel songs.  I handed the phone to my wife, but she had no better luck, and it was getting closer and closer to concert time, and there were other people wanting to speak to him as well.  But we never could get the camera to load.

So it was an anxiety dream after all.  We all have them.  Mine tend to be school-related: it is the end of the semester and I haven't done any work for the exam I am about to take, it is the first day of school and I find out I'm teaching a class I don't know anything about, I am sitting in class with no clothes on.  You know the drill.  But a Merle Haggard anxiety dream?  Where did that come from?  And why?

One more thing.  Even as our encounter with Merle Haggard was about to be chalked up as a failure because we just couldn't get the camera to work, I managed to say to him what I've often wanted to say, which was, "Mr. Haggard, I just wanted you to know that I think the production on your records all the way back to the 60s and 70s is stellar.  Everything is crisp and clear and there is total separation between the instruments.  Most records that old don't hold up like that."  And maybe I was dreaming, but he seemed appreciative.

So there.

If some of you have good interpretations of all this, let me hear them, dreamweavers!

3 comments:

troutking said...

Love it! I think your dream was telling you to either move to the middle of Montana ala Big City or stop burning the flag so much ala Okie from Muskogee. Or maybe just that your band should have classic country night.

Gary Wright said...

"Ooh dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light"

Why wasn't I in there -
Respectfully yours, Gary

Bob said...

Gary, that was my homage to you at the end!